- Three categories of soil particles - sand, silt and clay are established based on their particle size.
- Clay particles are the smallest ( <0.002 mm), while sand particles are the largest (0.05- 2.00 mm).
- Soil texture depends on the proportion of sand, silt and clay.
- There are 12 classes of soil texture.
- If most particles are large and coarse the soil is called Sand.
- Silt is dominated by medium-sized particles and feels like flour.
- Small-sized soil particles primarily make up a Clay soil.