7. Saline-Alkaline soils
- They show white incrustation of salts of Calcium, Magnesium and Sodium on the surface.
- These are poor in drainage and are infertile.
- In regions with low water table, the salts percolate into sub-soil and in regions with good drainage, the salts are wasted away by flowing water.
- But in places where the drainage system is poor, the water with high salt concentration becomes stagnant and deposits all the salts in the top soil as it evaporates.
- In regions with high sub-soil water table, injurious salts are transferred from below by the capillary action as a result of evaporation in dry season.